Doomsday seed vault flood  

RSS

Trusted Member
18/06/2017 5:02 am  

Just recently, in May 2017 there was some flooding at the entrance tunnel of the doomsday seed vault. No seeds were harmed. The flooding happened "due to technical issues".

Until I read that news, I have to admit that I had never heard of the doomsday seed vault. For others who have never heard of it, here is a little explanation.

The seed vault is located in Norway, and was funded by the Norwegian government. The construction cost was $9 million. Construction started in 2006. Its goal is preservation of a very wide variety of plant species and its location as well as the way it is constructed, provide a low temperature at all times.

The seeds are stored in three-ply foil packages which are stored in plastic tote containers, placed on shelves made of metal at a temperature of - 0.4 Fahrenheit. This low temperature delays the aging of the seeds process considerably.

A total of 4.5 million seed samples can be stored there. Each sample has 500 seeds. Pretty cool! I really had never heard of this, and I'm glad to know that this exists.  You just never know what we might need it for in the distant future.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register

Bitcoin In Space
CIF: B123456789
202 Hartridge Hills Lane
CP: 33881 Winter Haven (United States)
Tel: 999-999-9999

[email protected]

Bitcoin and space. When both are decentralized, they are natural allies.