Spot the space station  

RSS

Trusted Member
09/05/2017 6:39 am  

My husband and I are long time ISS (International Space Station) watchers. I first hears about it on line about 2 years ago, and ever since, we never let a clear night pass without watching the space station. It is so easy to spot, even without help of a telescope.

You can find out when the station will be visible by adding your zip code:

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/

Unfortunatey, it's mostly in the AM in May, but sometimes it will be in the PM for 2 weeks in a row. 
The station is super easy to spot. Unlike a plane that has some flashing lights, the station's lights are steady and bright. It looks a bit oval and is wider than a plane. It moves very steadily and always appears and disappears at the exact time indicated on the "Spot the station" list.

If you've never watched the space station and you live in an area where you don't have too many lights around, make sure to give it a try, it's well worth it, and you don't need a telescope. We don't have one and we can see the ISS just fine.

Once you've seen it though, you'll want to watch it again, and again 🙂

ReplyQuote
Eminent Member
09/05/2017 4:11 pm  

This is cool. I am pretty sure I saw the International Space Station fly over my house one time. I got, like, five minutes' warning from somebody I follow on Twitter, so it's nice to know that this site exists.

Don't forget to get tickets to go see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Though if you haven't seen Vol. 1 yet, what are you waiting for?

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member
10/05/2017 5:54 am  

Yeah, I didn't know about that site until a couple years ago. It's been in the AM recently, so not for me, I'm a night owl.

Have you ever seen the videos of the space station? I so love watching those.
This is a good one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhGydridbEA

There are several though, and they're all good. 
It's truly amazing how accurately they can tell us when exactly the space station will appear and how long it will be visible for.

Hint: The higher the degrees you see on the list, the better the view. 80 degrees is practically overhead, 14 degrees for example, is more in the distance.

Going into space is one of the only remaining items on my bucket list, and I know to never say never 🙂

For a while there in 2015, it looked like Sarah Brightman was going to visit the space station, but then she cancelled, that was too bad, I'd so love to have seen her go into space. I'm not sure why she cancelled or if she's planning on going again, but I do hope she will.
Maybe when I won the lottery, I could go visit the space station as well 🙂

ReplyQuote
Eminent Member
10/05/2017 1:58 pm  

Real cool video! I wonder why she canceled. I've heard of people canceling because they couldn't come up with the money. (Pretty darned pricey from the sound of it. That's why I hope the likes of Elon Musk succeed in bringing the cost of space travel down to where most people who can afford a decent house can also afford to fly in space. That way, space travel doesn't get seen as some kind of elitist thing.)

Don't forget to get tickets to go see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Though if you haven't seen Vol. 1 yet, what are you waiting for?

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member
10/05/2017 8:31 pm  

She canceled because of family reasons, the reasons were not specified. I don't know if she got a refund, but if she did, it won't have been the full sum since hours and time had already been spent training her.
I read somewhere that lady Gaga wants to go into space too but she was surpassed by Sarah Brightman. I wonder if Lady Gaga will go now, or if she was just saying it for the attention (lol sorry, not a Gaga fan).

As for the video, there are more out there, and they are all super, but I better not go to youtube to fetch links or I'll sit there and watch, and I don't have time 🙂

The International space station is a bit disappointing this month, just one passing by in the PM, and all others are in the AM at an ungodly hour, like 4 or 5 in the morning.

I do hope you get a chance to watch regularly some time, it's well worth it. No extra help needed, just two eyes. I read somewhere that it's better to watch without a telescope, but it didn't give a reason why that is.

Keep May 22nd in mind, it'll be in the PM 🙂

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member
19/06/2017 3:33 am  

I just wanted to update on this. The first part of June was incredible for International Space Station watch enthusiasts. Some nights it went across no less than 5 times, and sometimes for as long as 6 minutes.

We were fortunate that the weather was good most of the time and we had clear night skies. I can't tell you how many times we were out there, watching the space station.

A few times, it was just after 9:00 PM and it wasn't completely dark yet. We learned something from that... it needs to be quite dark to actually see the space station. Dusk doesn't cut it, and "almost dark" doesn't seem to cut it either.

I'd call us experienced space station watchers by mow, and we always know exactly where to look  and where it will appear, so I know we didn't miss it, it was just not dark enough a few times.

Party is over now until July I think. No more sightings for the rest of the month that I know of.
All in all, June was truly a good International space station month, and I hope that many who watch the station enjoyed it enormously. I can't wait until July, or until the next sighting schedule gets posted 🙂

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register

Bitcoin In Space
CIF: B123456789
202 Hartridge Hills Lane
CP: 33881 Winter Haven (United States)
Tel: 999-999-9999

[email protected]

Bitcoin and space. When both are decentralized, they are natural allies.