The Moon Landing  

RSS

Trusted Member
10/05/2017 7:41 am  

I was seven years old when the moon landing happened in 1969. A TV had been set up in a school building and everyone was invited to watch. I don;t remember much of it other than that it seemed a bit boring for a seven year old, but I realized that I was witnessing a historic moment.

Over the years, there has been much debate over whether the moon landing really happened or whether it was staged. Personally, I believe that it happened, not because I "saw it on TV", but just because it seems impossible that it didn't happen. Some of my friends don't believe it happened. Others think it would have been far too involved to stage it. I'm with the latter, mostly. It wouldn't have been possible to pull off a hoax like that without anyone spilling the beans eventually.

I've read much about it over time, and when you think about it, there are as many good arguments against it as there are for it. It will always be a mystery I guess.

I'd love to read other people's opinions about this. Do you think there was a moon landing in 1969, or do you think it was just one giant hoax?

ReplyQuote
Eminent Member
10/05/2017 2:14 pm  

I think the Moon Landing happened. If it had been completely staged, the Soviets would have inevitably found out about it and crowed about the U.S. being a bunch of frauds. The Soviets might have frittered away their early lead, but they weren't stupid and they had a pretty good intelligence community. They also wouldn't have minded telling the whole entire world if they caught us faking something huge like the Moon landing.

Don't forget to get tickets to go see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Though if you haven't seen Vol. 1 yet, what are you waiting for?

ReplyQuote
BitcoinSpace
Eminent Member Admin
10/05/2017 2:19 pm  

Rocket's right, and faking the moon landing would have also meant silencing everybody who would have been in on the fake. That's hard to do when there were 400,000 people working for the space program in the 1960s and somebody would have figured out that they were building bogus hardware and ratted out the whole entire thing. All it would have taken is an offhand comment to a reporter to blow the whole thing out of the water.

ReplyQuote
Eminent Member
10/05/2017 2:27 pm  

I wish there was an easy way to settle this. But what I think it's going to take is hauling somebody like Bret Sibrel to the Moon, to one of the six Apollo landing sites, and saying, "Look at that, you son of a b****!" (Of course, they'd probably crap their pants if we did that.) The landing stages of the lunar landers are still there and so are the experiments.

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member
10/05/2017 8:21 pm  

Good points, excellent. I have to agree that with so many people involved in this giant project, someone would have ratted them out. I know that conspiracy theorists say that several people involved died under suspicious circumstances, but with so many people working on a project like that, some will die afterwards, we're human, and mortals. A car accident can't really be called suspicious. It does happen.

I had to dig a bit deeper into this and found some nice articles. Got carried away reading them last night 🙂 Apparently, the moon landing was spotted by one of China's lunar probes
Also good point is brought up here about the Russians. They'd have figured out a hoax like that in a heartbeat.

What got me though, and none of the conspiracy theorists ever mentioned this... the footage was excellent. You'd expect some mishaps there, but what do I know.

In the end, lol... they really should have ironed that flag 🙂

I just don't understand why they stopped going to the moon. If it could already be done in 1969, imagine how much more we would have found out from yearly trips to the moon. I guess I have some more googling to do, need to find out why they stopped the moon program, unless someone here knows?

ReplyQuote
BitcoinSpace
Eminent Member Admin
11/05/2017 7:14 pm  

What I always heard is that Congress slashed funding, the public lost interest and some senior staffers at NASA chickened and decided to ramp up work on the Space Shuttle instead. NASA became way too bureaucratic, and bureaucrats don't like to take risks. They're basically terrified of having another Apollo 13 situation only they won't be able to get the crew back this time; really they have been for decades but they can't just get away with doing absolutely zilch, so they jink around in low Earth orbit and send only robots to other planets. It's wrong and it's stupid and it dishonors the astronauts who are willing to put their lives on the line to push humanity forward, but that's basically why we haven't been back to the Moon.

ReplyQuote
Trusted Member
11/05/2017 7:51 pm  

That's very sad because we can probably learn a heck of a lot more from the moon and if they could get to the moon in 1969, imagine how much easier it would be today, with more technology and more advanced knowledge.

It's true that astronauts put their lives at risk. There is more risk involved in doing this, than in flying a plane across the atlantic. Many of the things we know or have today started with someone risking their lives.

The first plane, the first parachute, the first space shuttle, even the first car, all of those came with risks to the ones who tested this. I've never seen it that way, or at least, never thought of it that way, but you are right, it is a dishonour to the astronauts that they stopped visiting the moon. Almost as if the astronauts did it for nothing in the end.

But then, to them it must have been incredibly exciting. Imagine if you could say to your kids and grandchildren "See that moon up there? I walked on it."

Their names became common household names and at least their got some recognition from the general population. Kudos to them.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register

Bitcoin In Space
CIF: B123456789
202 Hartridge Hills Lane
CP: 33881 Winter Haven (United States)
Tel: 999-999-9999

[email protected]

Bitcoin and space. When both are decentralized, they are natural allies.